Friday, December 24, 2010

My Top 10: Best movie picks for Christmas

I've been torn on how to do a Christmas post. There are so many things I could write about but that makes it that much more difficult to decide on something. I initially wanted to do a Christmas movie viewing guide similar to my Halloween one, but my knowledge of Christmas movies is woefully slim compared to my knowledge of horror movies. Also, there are plenty of Christmas movies I've seen but do not like. So I settled for a compromise - an all-inclusive list of my favorite Christmas movies and everyone else's favorite Christmas movies. Contrary to my title of "top" 10, these aren't two lists of greatest or most popular movies by rank. It's a list of my favorite Christmas movies and then five more that are insanely popular that I don't like but everyone else does.

Their Top 5


5. "Love Actually"Why I don't love it: It would be cute if it was any one or two of those stories. But instead it's like watching the first five minutes and the last five minutes of twenty different movies. Too little time is dedicated to the most interesting storylines. And the big "All I Want for Christmas is You" number just feels like a desperate (albeit successful) effort to make it an event Christmas movie to watch every year. The pumped up, feel-good climax still doesn't make this movie very good. Although I have to admit, I love Rowan Atkinson in it as the gift wrapper at the jewelry counter.

4. Those animated TV specials ("Rudolph, The Red-nosed Reindeer," "The Year Without a Santa Claus," "Santa Claus is Comin' to
Town," etc.)Why I don't love it: This is shallow, but stop motion animation freaks me out. Animated inanimate objects are unnatural and really really creepy.

3. "Elf"

Why I don't love it: I don't hate Will Ferrell, but the subgenre of comedies that revolve around grown men acting like children doesn't quite appeal to me. I don't hate this movie, it just doesn't do anything for me. It's one of those performances where I am painfully aware watching it that I'm supposed to think all the quirky antics are hilarious, if you know what I mean.

2. "It's a Wonderful Life"
Why I don't love it: Before you freak out, I don't hate this movie. I don't even not like it. It's a very good movie. I just don't love it. It's a little too saccharine for me. And not that I have anything against this, but it's a pretty depressing movie for Christmas. Suicide isn't the most holiday-friendly topic. But I suppose I'm a hypocrite because I'm watching it as I type this. Blame it on my family. I am really enjoying the George Bailey-less Pottersville. Without George, the entire town becomes a Las Vegas-esque den of iniquity. It's almost like an episode of "The Twilight Zone."

1. "A Christmas Story"Why I don't love it: This one I hate. I started out sort of liking it and went to sort of disliking it and then to absolutely loathing it. Mainly because I've been forced to watch this movie every year, multiple times a Christmas season and I am sick of it. That 24 hour marathon of it on TBS doesn't help matters. I don't mind my family putting on "It's a Wonderful Life" because it means they aren't putting on "A Christmas Story." I want that bratty little kid to shoot his eye out or get his tongue stuck permanently to that flagpole. Much like "Home Alone" makes me glad not to have a huge family, this one makes me glad I didn't have to live in the 40s. I can't stand that whole family.

My Top 5

5. "Home Alone"Why I love it: It was written by John Hughes and the score was composed by John Williams. This is another one riddled with quotable moments and it made me so grateful to be from a relatively small family.

4. "Jingle All the Way"Why I love it: It gets lost amidst all the other classics and it's by no means a high quality movie, but it's a classic in my family. My siblings and I watched it every year as kids and still quote it regularly. Arnold Schwarzenegger goes on a hunt for the hot toy of the year, Turboman, and the ensuing chaos is relatable for anyone who has ever done holiday shopping. Phil Hartman is in it as well as the perfect neighbor with the hots for Arnold's wife while Arnold faces off against Sinbad as a crazy fellow father searching for a Turboman. It's not genius, but it's definitely an underrated Christmas movie.

3. "A Charlie Brown Christmas"
Why I love it: Sad sack Charlie Brown tries to get involved to cure his depression and gets schooled on what Christmas is all about. Despite its 'keep the Christ in Christmas' message, it's still a classic and enjoyable for everyone. It's from another time and has an innocence that makes it hard to resist. Also, there's a fun version done by the "Scrubs" cast that I just love.

2. "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas"
Why I love it: What kind of grinch doesn't love Dr. Seuss? There's rhyming and a sweet message that isn't as overtly religious as the Charlie Brown one. Just because we all give gifts at Christmas doesn't mean it's not about the family and friends we spend it with.

1. "Die Hard" Why I love it: I love action movies and this is the holy grail. One man takes on a whole lot of bad guys - at Christmas. Alan Rickman is perfection. I rather see him plotting the perfect robbery than cheating on his wife in "Love Actually." Nothing says Christmas like explosions and machine guns. Ho ho ho.

No comments:

Post a Comment