Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Thoughts on the Golden Globe nominations

I've never been all that interested in the Golden Globes, but they actually have some impact in the movie world. Movie nominations in the Globes gives you a decent idea of where the Oscar nominations are going. Not always, but if a critical favorite doesn't make it to the Globes, it doesn't bode well for the movie. One of my biggest problems with the Globes is that it comes so early that most movies being nominated haven't been seen by the general public. At least by Oscar time, critical faves are at least in the artsy theaters, but around this time? Many indie faves haven't even left New York and LA.

(For a complete list of the nominations, click here.)

Movies
  • After the critical evisceration of "The Tourist," I was shocked to see it so represented in the nominations. With a 19% on Rotten Tomatoes, it's being called one of Johnny Depp's worst performances as well as a self-indulgent, self-important bore. I also wasn't aware that "The Tourist" was a Musical or Comedy.

  • Surprised to see so little love for "The Town" or Ben Affleck. Say what you will about his acting, but as a director, I think he's pretty darn good.

  • One of the other problems with the Globes when it comes to movies is their separation of films into Drama and Musical or Comedy. You might think that this gives lighter movies a fair chance, but really, it just means sub-par movies (like "Burlesque") sneak their way in. The more I think about it, the more I like the Oscars' new method of nominating ten movies for Best Picture. It allows them to recognize more than just the indie/critical favorites and acknowledge that sometimes blockbusters or comedies are just as deserving of the prize.

  • I am dying to see "Black Swan." But like I said, that won't come to my hometown for a long time. And even then, it will be in the artsy theater downtown. And I don't even live out in the sticks, I'm in a relatively large city. I don't think my situation is that uncommon. A lot of people outside the biggest of the big cities struggle to find these critical favorites, and even then, how many people out there can go out with a group of friends who all want desperately to see some indie movie? It's not exactly surprising that I can't rally some friends or family to go see a movie like "127 Hours" on a Friday night. Nothing says a good time like a little amputation.

  • Speaking of which, poor Danny Boyle himself gets no love for his intense new film. What a shame. From what I've seen of his previous films and what I've heard about "127 Hours," I would bet that he deserved some recognition.

  • I'm thrilled to see Andrew Garfield nominated for "The Social Network," not that it's any surprise. Critics are in love with this movie and it's definitely a front-runner for the Oscars.

  • Looking at the director nominations, this is going to be one thrilling Oscar race this year. As much as I love Christopher Nolan and "Inception," how could I say for one second that Darren Aronofsky or David Fincher don't deserve it? I do think Aaron Sorkin deserves the Screenplay win and I am expecting him to win the Oscar next year.

  • I would love to see "Inception" at least win Best Original Score. I focus on the score of a movie more than the average person, and Hans Zimmer never fails to impress me.
Television
  • I'm pretty upset that "The Walking Dead" got a Best TV Series nod for Drama over something like "Fringe." I've said plenty about both already, so I don't think I need to give my reasons here too.

  • Still depressed that "Cougar Town" is snubbed, but not at all surprised. Critical love has been building slowly but steadily for that show all year and I had some hope it would sneak in there.

  • Best Actor in a Drama series is the same exact thing as every year: Jon Hamm, Michael C Hall, Hugh Laurie, Bryan Cranston. The only new addition is Steve Buscemi for "Boardwalk Empire."

  • I didn't realize until another site pointed it out for me, but "Lost" is nowhere to be seen. That makes me so happy. It got all the recognition it deserved when it was at the top of its game.

  • I was really surprised to see Piper Perabo get a nod for "Covert Affairs." USA Network hasn't shown up a lot in awards shows, even lately. I never did pick up "Covert Affairs," but now I have to wonder - is it really that good, or is this another "Johnny Depp in 'The Tourist'" fluke? Could her spot really not have gone to Anna Torv, who stepped up her game this year on "Fringe?"

1 comment:

  1. I agree, the Oscars is the much more reputable of the two.

    Oh, and Hans Zimmer is up there with John Williams in the pantheon of incredible composers of music. Love his music.

    ReplyDelete