Monday, July 4, 2011

Tvgirl's Fourth of July Movie Picks

As I walked about our nation's capitol this week and evening, surveying the best of America's history, I was overcome with the irresistible desire to watch movies. It's not my fault I associate the National Archives with "National Treasure." And there's only so many Disney songs, depressing Josh Groban songs, and banjo medleys by comedians in front of the Capitol Building I can take before I long for Nicholas Cage to school me on our Founding Fathers.

For every holiday, there is at least one movie or TV show that can be used to celebrate the occasion. Whether it's an annual showing of "Shaun of the Dead" on Halloween, "It's a Wonderful Life" on Christmas, or the Robin Sparkles "Let's Go to the Mall" music video from "How I Met Your Mother" on Canada Day. The Fourth of July is an outdoorsy holiday, so I recommend watching movies the day before or after. But before or after you enjoy your barbecue and fireworks, sit back and relax with these July Fourth classics (or movies marginally related to patriotic-like themes.)


8. "The Sandlot"One of my most vivid memories of this movie, aside from the big scary dog and drug use, is the Independence Day celebration. To this day, I think of this film when I hear Ray Charles' version of "America the Beautiful."

7. "Glory"I remember this one primarily for watching it in high school history class, but I recall it being a pretty good movie. The ending is rather depressing, though, so I wouldn't recommend it if you want a feel-good holiday flick.

6. "The Patriot"If you can stomach the historical inaccuracy and presence of Mel Gibson, this is a great movie for national pride. Hey, Heath Ledger is in it too! Does that cancel out Mel?

5. "1776"Okay, this is the one I watched a lot as a youngster learning my history in school. I can't even recall if it's any good, but it's a musical! If you're looking for something really different from the usual, tired July Fourth movies that air on TV every year, maybe you should give this one a try.

4. "Forrest Gump"It may not be entirely about the Fourth of July, but this film is so embedded in American history I can justify putting it this high. If the sight of Forrest and Jenny running into each others' arms in the Reflecting Pool doesn't fill you with joy then you clearly have no soul.

3. "National Treasure"I'm a sucker for nerd heroes. It's why those "Librarian" movies on TNT with Noah Wyle will always have a special place in my heart and the Doctor is the greatest TV hero of all time. Intellectual heroes rock. And we all love a good conspiracy theory and treasure hunt. But at the end of the day, there's something uniquely entertaining about a summer blockbuster that so gleefully revels in the subject of American history.

2. "Live Free or Die Hard"If nerds aren't quite your thing, you can take them in in small doses in this great summer action movie. John McClane drags Mac guy along for a wild ride while Nikita and Raylan Givens try to dismantle the nation's infrastructure. Also, Kevin Smith! And at least in this one, when the Capitol Building "blows up," it's not supposed to be fun (it's not a Michael Bay movie, after all). For some strange reason, despite being set on the Fourth of July, the movie was released in June. Huh.

1. "Independence Day"The grand daddy of July 4th movies. Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum save Earth from damn dirty aliens. Talk about the greatest, 90s action/thriller/scifi movie casting. When I first saw "War of the Worlds," all I could think of was how I rather be watching this movie. I don't want aliens to be defeated by dumb luck (and I do mean dumb) - I want them to be defeated by all humans rallying together in a display of solidarity and bravery. I don't want Tom Cruise and his stupid, whiny kids running all around while people get massacred - I want Jeff Goldblum incomprehensibly hacking into advanced alien technology. I don't want Tim Robbins spazzing out in a basement - I want Randy Quaid flying a plane up the ass of an alien spaceship. "In the words of my generation: up yours!"

No comments:

Post a Comment