Thursday, January 13, 2011

First look at "Spiderman" reboot

Being a girl and a proud nerd, I have to say that this picture is all kinds of awesome. (Grabbed from Entertainment Weekly, if you want to see it even bigger and better quality). Like I mentioned in a previous post, although I think the Sam Raimi movies are, for the most part, great movies, I am really looking forward to the reboot. I do hope they avoid going too into the recent dark "Batman" territory. "Batman" fits nicely into the gritty, post-modern superhero genre. But what I like about the first two "Spiderman" movies is how much fun they are. They're light, summer blockbuster, rip-roarin' good times at the theater. Also, "Spiderman" is still kind of a campy story. You still have the origin story about the spider bite and wacky weird villains. I would hate to see the new movie take a fun comic book premise and take it way too seriously when it absolutely does not have to.

Some people were apparently concerned about Andrew Garfield's ability to play a high schooler. I think he can definitely pull it off. Tobey Maguire wasn't exactly a kid when he took on the role. I liked Maguire just fine, but he was never my favorite part of those movies. Not to mention the fact that, unlike Maguire, Garfield is actually cute. Emma Stone is playing the new love interest. Once again, Kirsten Dunst was never my favorite part of the movies, but I didn't hate her. Between "The Social Network" and "Easy A," Garfield and Stone generated a lot of positive buzz in 2010. I'm more concerned about who will be writing and who will be directing. Director Marc Webb's big claim to fame is "(500) Days of Summer," but aside from that, he just has a ton of music videos on his resume. The people behind the screenplay are likewise pretty unknown. The previous "Spiderman" flicks had a screenwriter and a director with solid, well-known bodies of work behind them. Let's hope the newbies can prove themselves worthy of Spidey.

I guess the last big question for die-hard fans is this - to organically web-shoot or not to organically web-shoot? I'm a nerd in many ways but I'm no comic book nerd so I have no strong opinion one way or the other. I like the look of organic web-shooters, but if it's such a big deal, cede to the fanboys on this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment